Re: htdig: Quick question

Sun, 13 Sep 1998 22:38:54 -0400

At 3:00 PM -0400 9/10/98, Dan Schleifer wrote:
>I need to be able to have
>it load a different frame set depending on where in the site the content
>frame is and I don't know how. Each piece of content has the correct
>frameset one directory level down from where it is. How can this be
>done. Thanks in advance.

This is a problem with just about every search engine I've seen. (If you
know of one that doesn't do this, *please* let me know, I'd love to learn
from it.)

I think there may be a solution, though it requires editing the pages
themselves. The LINK tag is designed for this style of problem. If I
understand correctly (I'm not a guru on the HTML standards), the idea is
you can tell someone that the page is actually part of a larger work. So it
might be possible to recognize something like this (though it's probably
non-standard HTML)

<link rel="frameset" href="http://foo.com/frame.html">

The only problem is this: maybe the file isn't in the default framset (more
than likely). If we have ht://Dig return "http://foo.com/frame.html" then
the page we wanted won't be displayed. How do we know what frame to put it
in, and how do we send *that* info to the browser?