Re: htdig: Search engine for web site

Andrew Storrs (
Sun, 6 Sep 1998 17:49:42 -0700 (PDT)

On Sun, 6 Sep 1998 wrote:

> I am new at developing a web site. I do have a web site. A book that I
> have advises persons with web sites to install a search engine for the
> web site. ht://Dig is one of the recommended search engines. My web site
> is only one page. Do I need a search engine for a one page site? I
> thought that having my site listed with various search engines would be
> sufficient. Please explain if I need a search engine. How could that
> help. Any information on this subject would be appreciated. Thank you in
> advance.

There is no need for you to install a search engine if your site is only
one page. Search engines are designed to help people navigate through
large sites easily to find what they are looking for. I would
instead recommend that you register your site with the major internet
search engines such as Yahoo, Excite, Infoseek, Lycos, etc...

Hope this answers you question.

Andrew Storrs

Web Design Team ASB - #10844
Centre for Systems Science Tel: 604-291-3125
Simon Fraser University Fax: 604-291-4424
8888 University Drive
Burnaby, BC V5A 1S6 http:/