Re: htdig: Search engine for web site

Andrew Storrs (astorrs@cs.sfu.ca)
Sun, 6 Sep 1998 17:49:42 -0700 (PDT)

On Sun, 6 Sep 1998 LReischjr@aol.com wrote:

> I am new at developing a web site. I do have a web site. A book that I
> have advises persons with web sites to install a search engine for the
> web site. ht://Dig is one of the recommended search engines. My web site
> is only one page. Do I need a search engine for a one page site? I
> thought that having my site listed with various search engines would be
> sufficient. Please explain if I need a search engine. How could that
> help. Any information on this subject would be appreciated. Thank you in
> advance.

There is no need for you to install a search engine if your site is only
one page. Search engines are designed to help people navigate through
large sites easily to find what they are looking for. I would
instead recommend that you register your site with the major internet
search engines such as Yahoo, Excite, Infoseek, Lycos, etc...

Hope this answers you question.

Andrew Storrs
astorrs@cs.sfu.ca

Web Design Team ASB - #10844
Centre for Systems Science Tel: 604-291-3125
Simon Fraser University Fax: 604-291-4424
8888 University Drive css_web@cs.sfu.ca
Burnaby, BC V5A 1S6 http:/fas.sfu.ca/css/