RE: htdig: finding pages which reference particular servers

Frost, Timothy E (timothy.frost@eds.com)
Mon, 31 Aug 1998 16:56:13 +1200

htdig reports links that are broken, telling you the URL that is
missing, and the page where that reference occurred.

For example, on a test web server I run, putting a reference to a
non-existent page gives in the output from htdig:

htdig: Errors to take note of:
Not found: http://testserver.nz.eds.com/dns/test.html
        Ref: http://testserver.nz.eds.com/dns/

This tells me that the page dns/test.html does not exist, and that the
reference occurred in the index page for that directory (the trailing /)

On our production server, I run the rundig script, with output (stdout
and stderr) emailed to the webmaster account:

0 2 * * * /usr/sbin/rundig 2>&1 | mail -s "HT Dig report" webmaster

This gives me the stats from htdig and htmerge and also the errors from
htdig.