Re: htdig: search for a phrase?

J. op den Brouw (
Sun, 9 Aug 1998 15:23:14 +0200 (MET DST)

On Fri, 7 Aug 1998, Simon Fleischmann-Shostak wrote:

> >I had that same problem some time ago. The solution is, as I close remember,
> >to have an entry in the option list with two "values" concatinated with
> >a pipe sign (|). So you'll need something like
> >
> >OPTION VALUE="one|two" .......
> >
> >--jesse
> Jesse,
> That would seem to work, when something like this is passed to htsearch:
> r5&exclude=&method=and&format=builtin-long&words=test
> Which would restrict the search to URLs with foobar1, foobar3, or foobar5
> in them.
> But, the form won't send multiple selections divided with a "|" -- so it
> seems like it needs another cgi-script to concatenate the selections and
> send them to htsearch. Right?

Yes, you have to write a small Perl CGI script (my favorite language) to
cope with this. We had the problem that our web master wanted to search
the databases on a combination on: corporate files, departement files,
employee files (8 combinations). I had to write a parse script to
compose the right exclude/restrict. It works though...

Haagse Hogeschool 2521 EN DEN HAAG
Sector Techniek Netherlands
Afdeling Elektrotechniek +31 70 4458936