Re: htdig: password protected sites

Andrew Scherpbier (andrew@contigo.com)
Fri, 07 Aug 1998 10:28:46 -0700

Stephan Vladimir Bugaj wrote:

> thanks to nick talbott for the answer to my previous question which seems
> like it
> should do the trick...
>
> i looked again at the online docs and didn't see anything about indexing
> password
> protected sites... is there any documentation about this? we have several
> password protected sites we'd like to index...
>
> thanks!
>
> ll+p,
> stephan

htdig, the indexer, can take a username/password combination as an argument.
Check the docs for htdig.
Unfortunately, only one username/password combination can be provided, and it
is sent with *every* request that htdig makes; even to sites that don't
normally need it.

One solution would be to create one username/password combination that will
work for every protected resource and only enable it while htdig is running.

--
Andrew Scherpbier <andrew@contigo.com>