Re: htdig: need help implementing 1 htdig indexing multiple servers, kept separate

Nick Talbott (nickt@powys.gov.uk)
Wed, 5 Aug 1998 16:47:54 +0000

>... if there is a more elegant solution which
> would allow me to use the existing install of htdig could someone please
> explain how I can go about implementing it?

Stephan

I happened to have these notes already written which I think will get you
going:

1 Create a new directory to store the new search database files

2 Create a new configuration file - copy the htdig.conf file to another file
in
the config directory and called "something".conf. - eg server2.conf

Edit the new configuration file as required.

In particular, you must modify:

        database_dir: - the new directory for the search database.
        start_url: - the staring point for the new search database

3 Run htdig, referencing the new configuration file

eg ./htdig -c /usr/local/htdig/conf/server2.conf -i

(NB - must be full path name to the configuration file)

4 Run htmerge, also invoking the new configuration file

eg ./htmerge -c /usr/local/htdig/conf/server2.conf

5 Create an html file to invoke the cgi search engine that references the new
configuration file. As a starting point copy the basic search.html page. The
only change that must be made is to ensure that the "config" variable is
supplied as the name of the new configuration file (this time, excluding the
full path and excluding the .conf filename ending - eg "server2")

Hope this helps - regards

Nick Talbott
Corporate IT Unit, Powys County Council, UK