Re: htdig: Searched on the beginning of a word

MSQL_User (MSQL_User@st.hhs.nl)
Mon, 3 Aug 1998 12:40:45 +0200 (MET DST)

On Thu, 30 Jul 1998, Brian Litke wrote:

> >> I do(make) inquiry about a word "test" and I receive the list of the
> >> documents. If inquiry - "tes", the documents are not found. How to make,
> >> what the documents were searched on the beginning of a word?
> >
> >This requires using the "substring" or "prefix" search algorithms. The
> >prefix algorithm is not in the current release, but I believe there is a
> >patch to add it--it will be in the next release. Substrings would match
> >words with "tes" anywhere in the word, so "states" and "test" would be
> >matches.
>
> I checked for the patch at:
> ftp://sol.ccsf.cc.ca.us/htdig-patches/3.0.8b2/
> and couldn't find one in the 00INDEX file. Does anyone know where the
> patch to enable partial word searches would be located?

To use the prefix by Esa Ahola, you need the patch to use berkeley
databases, see

http://crytonII.st.hhs.nl/htdig

Also, substring search is *very* slow.

> When you say support will be included for the next release, do you mean the
> Java ht://dig 4.0? or will there be another release of the 3.0 series?
>
> Thanks,
> Brian Litke
> Southwest Educational Development Laboratory (SEDL)
> http://www.sedl.org
>

> >To add either search types, you must set the search_algorithm attribute in
> >your config file, e.g.
> >search_algorithm: exact:1 soundex:0.3

--jesse
Haagse Hogeschool 2521 EN DEN HAAG