Re: htdig: Windows??

Mon, 27 Jul 1998 12:59:51 -0400 (EDT)

> be/not. But what about real issues such as performance... as *it* is
> search engine... What will Java do for us, in terms of CPU and RAM
> requirements...

Unfortunately that can't really be evaluated... How good is your Java
runtime or your Java-to-native compiler? If you've tried Java
implementations in Netscape and MSIE, you can see that they differ widely
in terms of RAM and CPU performance.

While we'd be running a Java application on a server, the analogy is
appropriate. Some Java implementations are very fast and don't take up
much RAM. Some people may use a program to turn the Java bytecode into raw
machine code, just like your C or C++ compiler--in this case the RAM and
CPU requirements are the same.