Re: htdig: Windows??

Mon, 27 Jul 1998 09:15:31 -0400 (EDT)

> with commercial versions? (I'm not sure that it is). And one other thing,

The GNAT compiler is at least as good as the commercial versions. Don't
just take my word for it, you can

> Personally, I would like to see a new version of ht://Dig written such
> that there was a core engine with a well-defined api and sample
> reference implementation of UI functions which people could hack on
> in other languages if they so desired. I think that this would give
> local ht://Dig maintainers the capability to be more flexible in their
> delivery of their service, which is something that we see more and more.

Well there's already support for external parsers. But I understand what
you want. I'd like to see a more modular ht://Dig as well. It would help
when new protocols or databases or search techniques or...

> If people can wait a few weeks, I might be able to produce something
> like this myself (I'm about to change jobs).

If you're interested in developing ht://Dig, I highly recommend checking
out the developer pages: <http://dev.htdig.org/> which have instructions
on checking out the CVS source. Right now I'm working on the htdig3 tree
with an eye to get out a version in early September. I'm expecting one or
two releases from that tree (and maybe a bugfix or two).

Since htdig4 is being rewritten from scratch, IMHO this is probably the
best place for your project. I'm holding a few projects back for the
htdig4 tree already, including a "phrase search" feature.