Re: htdig: Re: htdig 4

Thu, 23 Jul 1998 06:14:56 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 8 Jul 1998, Andrew Scherpbier wrote:

> If you know how to get apache to do that, let me know. We've tried to
> followed the directions in the docs, but we never got it to use a compressed
> transfer-encoding...

Andrew,

After getting a response from the Apache group, I now can get my server to
compress html, ps and tar files on the fly. Actually you can tell it to
only compress certain files or whatever you want.

To try it out,

http://ethel.williams.edu/index.html.gz

Basically, it uses mod_rewrite to send .gz requests to a CGI which sends
the proper encoding.

-Geoff