Re: htdig: on different servers!..

Maren S. Leizaola (leizaola@unitedmta.com)
Mon, 20 Jul 1998 19:23:38 +0800 (CST)

On Mon, 20 Jul 1998, Tim Gladding wrote:

> On Tue, 7 Jul 1998, Responsable Plate Forme wrote:
>
> > > Is htdig able to index and search on different servers?
> > > If yes then HOW?..
> >
> > It is really simple!
> >
> > Add the servers which must be index in line : start_url in file : htdig.conf.
> >
> > I don't know if you must use the -i with programm htdig. You must
> > verify if when you change thdig.conf, you must use -i. Anybody knows?
>
> Of course, if you do that, you will have objects from one site appearing
> on the search of another site. What you really want is separate indexes
> for each site - that's not difficult at all.

Not necessarily...

        I index about ten WEB servers into one single database. Then use
the restrict function to specify the site into which you want the search
to look in. In your search form enter something like this to choose which
or all sites to search.

        This one should be in the FAQ, if it is not there already... I
admit this whole area is pretty blurd in the docs.

Back to this issue here, is a bit of HTML to do this...

Which Pulicatition : <SELECT NAME=restrict>
<OPTION VALUE="">All - Site 1, Site 2, Site 3
<OPTION VALUE="http://www.site1.com">Great Site 1.
<OPTION VALUE="http://www.site2.com">Great Site 2.
<OPTION VALUE="http://www.site3.com">Great Site 3.
</SELECT>

I never use the -i parameter ever.... I always create the temp databases
with -a parameter. Then when the indexing is done I use a script to move
the files over carefully.. All being well you have 0 down time on your
search engine.

You can also combine this with multiple databases (as Tim says) if you
have the requirement and use a <SELECT config> to choose the config, and
hence database. I personally use different copies (with different names,
different compilation params) of the search program as well as configs to
know which one of the search engines is being used most.

Keep on Searching!
Maren.