Re:first try

Kandice Jones (kandyj@ipa.net)
Sun, 19 Jul 1998 20:10:44 -0500

I thought I would try to wing my way through this, and recieved several
error messages when I ran make, after I did %./configure and %make (as
instructed next), then encountered trouble at make install.

Here is my CONFIG file attached, which most likely is the problem. I left
out the common_dir as I am not sure if any of the files will be "shared
between different databases" or even what this means. Of course when I
copied it into my directory, I changed the name to CONFIG.

here are some of the errors. I have done this over and over all day, so I
may have to start over from scratch, and delete everything but the tar.gz
file, if you think.

mkdir: /htdig/bin: No such file or directory
  /htdig/conf
mkdir: /htdig: Permission denied
mkdir: /htdig/conf: No such file or directory
  /htdig/common
mkdir: /htdig: Permission denied
mkdir: /htdig/common: No such file or directory
  /htdig/db
mkdir: /htdig: Permission denied
mkdir: /htdig/db: No such file or directory
  htdig/images
  htdig/bin
  htdig/search

Installing individual programs...
/usr/home/kandyj/public_html/htdig-3.0.8b2/install-sh -c htfuzzy /htdig/bin
mkdir: /htdig: Permission denied
cp: /htdig/#inst.2514#: No such file or directory
*** Error code 1

Stop.
*** Error code 1
*** Error code 1

urrgggghhh!

I have the htdig program files installed at my directory (after
decompressing with tar):

www.beta.insolwwb/usr/home/kandyj/public_html/htdig-3.0.8b2

I want it to search my files on this directory and subdirectories located at:
hwesta.pair.com/astc/public_html/
or http://www.shihtzu.org (the url name)

I hope I'm not too far off, for my first try.

##
## CONFIG
##
## This file is part of ht://Dig
##

#
# Please modify the variables below to reflect your preferences.
#

#
# DEST
#
# This specifies the root of the directory tree to be used by ht://Dig
#
DEST=/htdig

#
# BIN_DIR
# Set this macro to where you want the binaries to be installed.
#
BIN_DIR=$(DEST)/bin

#
# CONFIG_DIR
# This is the directory that contains ht://Dig configuration files
#
CONFIG_DIR=$(DEST)/conf

#
# COMMON_DIR
# This is the directory for files that can be shared between different
# databases.
#
COMMON_DIR= $(DEST)/common

#
# DATABASE_DIR
# The default directory where the search databases will reside.
#
DATABASE_DIR=$(DEST)/db

#
# DEFAULT_CONFIG_FILE
# This macro defines where the various programs will look for a configuration
# file.
#
DEFAULT_CONFIG_FILE=$(CONFIG_DIR)/htdig.conf

#
# CGIBIN_DIR
# The directory where your HTTP server looks for CGI programs. This is where
# htsearch will get installed.
#
CGIBIN_DIR=htdig/bin

#
# IMAGE_DIR
# Define this to be a place that can be accessed by your web server. This is
# where a couple of images will be placed.
#
IMAGE_DIR=htdig/images

#
# IMAGE_URL_PREFIX
# This is the URL to prefix the images placed in IMAGE_DIR.
#
IMAGE_URL_PREFIX= http://beta.insolwwb.net/~kandyj/htdig-3.0.8b2/htdig/images

#
# SEARCH_DIR
# Set this to the absolute path where you want the sample search form to
# be installed.
#
SEARCH_DIR=htdig/search

#
# SEARCH_FORM
# Set this to the name you want to give to the search form. This form
# will be located in the SEARCH_DIR directory.
#
SEARCH_FORM=search.html

Kandice Jones, kandyj@ipa.net
http://www.animalarts.com Gallery of Animal Art
            <>!<> (\\ http://users.ipa.net/~kandyj/
          /(@_'_@)\ (/// http://www.shihtzu.org/ ASTC website
-----o00o- ({{0}})o00o-----"What is done to children,
           {{{|}}} they will do to society." --Karl Menninger
 youth violence page & forum at http://www.animalarts.com/westside/