Re: htdig: Following Javascript links

Andrew Scherpbier (andrew@contigo.com)
Sun, 19 Jul 1998 09:57:22 -0700

Itamar S.-T. wrote:

> Andrew Scherpbier wrote:
>
> > A while ago I saw something about a GPL'd javascript parser. Anyone know if
> > that could be used in conjunction with htdig?
>
> Actually, all you would need to do is have ht://Dig treat
>
> location="somewhere.html";
>
> inside <JAVASCRIPT></JAVASCRIPT> tags the same way it does
>
> <A HREF="somewhere.html">
>
> This should be pretty easy. I'd try it myself, but I don't know any
> C++. At worst, I'll figure it out myself - shouldn't be too hard.

I wish life were that easy...
The problem is that javascript is a full language and therefore to detect
these types of assignments, you'd have to interpret the whole script. For
example, what would

        location = somewhere;

mean? Now you'd have to lookup and *track* the value of the variable
'somewhere'.

--
Andrew Scherpbier <andrew@contigo.com>