Re: htdig: Problem with rundif under RH 5.1

Rob Willett (r.willett@linst.ac.uk)
Fri, 10 Jul 1998 16:48:44 +0100

Enrico Cantu wrote:

> At 10:13 PM 7/9/98 -0500, Chris Owen wrote:
> >On Wed, 8 Jul 1998, Rob Willett wrote:
> >
> >> I've read through the archives of the mailing lists and seen the same
> >> problem I'm getting with rundig and RH5.1.
> >>
> >> If I run it through a crontab then rundig fails and if I run it through
> >> a command line it works. I have lots of the disk space so /bin/sort
> >> shouldn't fail. I have rewritten rundig to use a variety of different
> >> shells, such as tcsh and it still fails. I've tried outputing the output
> >> to /dev/null or to a file and that fails.
> >>
> >> I couldn't find out if anybody had resolved the htmerge problem under
> >> Linux and simply not reported it. If I get no joy then I'll have to
> >> unleash my elementary programming skills and debug htmerge.
> >
> >I don't have a solution, but I'm very glad to hear I'm not alone with this
> >problem. It really has me stumped. We've just given up running htdig
> >from cron for now, but that is sort of bummer since we liked to use it for
> >link checking purposes as well as keeping the search engine up to date.
>
> I don't mean to point out the absolutely obvious, but did you dump your
> environment variables to a debug file? I haven't run htdig from cron (I'm
> just starting to evaluate it), and I haven't read about any specific
> environment variables that needed to be set for htdig etc. to function
> properly (Andrew? please correct/confirm), but I've run into a couple of
> programs where the lack of env varables in cron (as opposed to a login
> shell) required them to be stated explicitly in the running script.
>
> Good luck!
> Enrico

The env variables are OK. Somebody has reported that /bin/sort is the
reason it's failing. I'm going to look into the code and see what gdb
throws up. I will also look at which shell it's using. innd v2.0 has
problems with Linux due to a hardwired shell.

I'll let the group know how it goes...

--
Rob Willett			Operations and Development Manager IT
Phone: 0171 514 6054 		Fax: 0171 514 6046