Re: htdig: Problem with rundif under RH 5.1

Enrico Cantu (ecantu@uh.edu)
Fri, 10 Jul 1998 08:53:43 -0500

At 10:13 PM 7/9/98 -0500, Chris Owen wrote:
>On Wed, 8 Jul 1998, Rob Willett wrote:
>
>> I've read through the archives of the mailing lists and seen the same
>> problem I'm getting with rundig and RH5.1.
>>
>> If I run it through a crontab then rundig fails and if I run it through
>> a command line it works. I have lots of the disk space so /bin/sort
>> shouldn't fail. I have rewritten rundig to use a variety of different
>> shells, such as tcsh and it still fails. I've tried outputing the output
>> to /dev/null or to a file and that fails.
>>
>> I couldn't find out if anybody had resolved the htmerge problem under
>> Linux and simply not reported it. If I get no joy then I'll have to
>> unleash my elementary programming skills and debug htmerge.
>
>I don't have a solution, but I'm very glad to hear I'm not alone with this
>problem. It really has me stumped. We've just given up running htdig
>from cron for now, but that is sort of bummer since we liked to use it for
>link checking purposes as well as keeping the search engine up to date.

I don't mean to point out the absolutely obvious, but did you dump your
environment variables to a debug file? I haven't run htdig from cron (I'm
just starting to evaluate it), and I haven't read about any specific
environment variables that needed to be set for htdig etc. to function
properly (Andrew? please correct/confirm), but I've run into a couple of
programs where the lack of env varables in cron (as opposed to a login
shell) required them to be stated explicitly in the running script.

Good luck!
Enrico