htdig: Multiple databases/search refining

Enrico Cantu (ecantu@uh.edu)
Fri, 26 Jun 1998 15:47:46 -0500

Hello,
We are pilot testing a few search engines for a web project, and I like
htdig a lot. I especially like the email notification feature. I haven't
quite understood how to get around something, though. I searched through
the list archives and didn't get much concrete answers on this subject, so
I will risk asking a potentially FAQ-type question.

I want to be able to have a search page that has an <OPTION> list of
various search restrictions for a given query, say "Entire site",
"Documentation", "Current Projects", and "Archives" for example. I know
that I can edit the htdig.conf file to match a starting URL, but I haven't
quite put 2 and 2 together to match the options in the search.html file and
doing the indexing with multiple .conf files reflecting the areas of the
site I want.

One solution would be to use a wrapper instead of calling htsearch
directly, if these are to be in separate databases, but I want to know what
people have done so far, and/or if I'm missing anything obvious. (which is
entirely probable!)

Many thanks in advance,
Enrico Cantu