htdig: Narrowing Scope of Search using Meta tags

Paul Wolstenholme (wolstena@sfu.ca)
Wed, 17 Jun 1998 20:15:40 -0700 (PDT)

We are using HtDig to archive our online journal. Recently, I was asked
whether the HtDig form could be modified so that if could search
exclusivley by author or title of the journal article.

The problem is that if you are looking for a article written by Richard
Smith. The result set returned can be quite extensive because he may have
been mentioned in many articles besides those he authoured.

At first I didn't think there was much we could do about this but I
looked at the htdig documentation and was wondering whether or not htsearch
could be configured to search for values of keys in the the htdig key words
meta tag.

For example, if each document contained a meta tag like:

<META NAME="htdig-keywords" AUTHOUR="Richard Smith" TITLE="Intellectual
Property">

Is it then possible to set your search form so that it only returns the
pages where AUTHOR contains "Richard Smith". Or, would this require
significant rewrites to htdig, htmerge and htsearch?

/Paul Wolstenholme