Re: Problems running HtDig under Windows NT

Alan Silver (flying-ferret@charis.co.uk)
Tue, 16 Jun 1998 15:34:16 +0100

>>I'm impressed you got it to compile! However, you are completely on your
own
>>when it comes to any win32 type things. Sorry.

Well is there *anyone* who can help. I don't mean to be awkward, but I
really would like to use HtDig. The documentation does not mention anything
about this error and I haven't a clue what to do about it. I've used the
code on UNIX machines and it worked fine. The site that I am developing
will eventually be served from a UNIX machine,so I know that HtDig will
work there, I just need to get it working here too so that I can write the
CGI wrappers for it and test it.

Surely someone, somewhere must have done this before. There are enough
people using NT for this to have been solved before. I would be happy with
executables, I don't need the buzz of compiling it myself !!

Are there any mailing lists, newsgroups, etc where HtDig experts hang out ?
Can anyone even explain what causes the error "gdbm fatal: read error" ? Is
there any way I can find out what this error means or do I have to ditch a
perfectly good piece of code in favour of something inferior due to lack of
any help anywhere ?

I would be grateful for any help at all !!

Alan Silver