Re: htdig: Bug: redirects

ing. J.E.J. op den Brouw (jesse@crytonII.st.hhs.nl)
Sat, 6 Jun 1998 13:06:28 +0200 (MET DST)

On 5 Jun 1998, John Goerzen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> First let me ask to please CC any reply to me since I'm not
> subscribed.
>
> I downloaded HTDIG -- it looks very good and has a much more agreeable
> license than WebGlimpse! However, I've noticed several problems.
>
> First, let me lay out the situation -- I have a server named
> gesundheit.cs.twsu.edu, and there is another name, happy.cs.twsu.edu,
> that is a CNAME for it due to the realization that a lot of people
> misspell gesundheit. So all URLs given out reference
> happy.cs.twsu.edu.

One simple solution is to make your DNS entries the other way around.
make happy.cs.... the real name and make gesuntheid.cs.. the CNAME.
German is hard to understand for some people.

> The first problem is that HTDIG doesn't understand HTTP/1.1. For
> clients that do, the server will use happy.cs.twsu.edu in all
> redirects -- preserving the URL that the client thought it was looking
> up. However, it doesn't do that for HTTP/1.0 (it can't), so this
> leads to trouble. I have references to things like
> http://happy.cs.twsu.edu/aclug/events, which gets redirected to
> http://gesundheit.cs.twsu.edu/aclug/events/ for clients with
> HTTP/1.0. That seems to confuse HTDIG, and leads to confusing results
> for viewers.
>
> Problem 2: Here are two lines from my config:
>
> start_url: http://happy.cs.twsu.edu/aclug/
> limit_urls_too: .cs.twsu.edu/aclug
>
> This setup will cause HTDIG to skip the /events URL as mentioned
> above, even though it gets redirected to something that IS in the
> allowed set. Changing the start_url to
> http://gesundheit.cs.twsu.edu/aclug/ magically fixes the problem, but
> it should act no differently.

If you run htdig with the -vvv option (see source), you'll get a lot of
debug messages. Maybe this will narrow the search for your (our?) problem.