Re: htdig 4.0

William J Fletcher (fletcher@4j.lane.edu)
Tue, 02 Jun 1998 17:33:59 -0700

Hey Andrew,

Just wanted to ring in my .02 worth on the 4.0 plans. I agree that Java should
make possible a lot of flexibility in search features, based on looking at the
<refine> applet used at Altavista, which gives the user a visualization of the
interrelationships of their searches. I've used this to great advantage (because
I'm personally a very visual thinker), but I've argued the visual concept in the
k12 realms where I live, as a means by which we can teach kids and adults how to
sift through ever growing web data sets, since often kids are very visual with
respect to their learning patterns.

So much for the philosophy, but I do endorse your efforts in this area, and based
on how well Your original work serves us at 4j
( http://www.4j.lane.edu/search) I think you've probably come up with some
dynamite ideas. Thanks, and keep up the great work.

(I wish I had more time, I'd love to try some java-related work for this effort).

I'm running htdig on Sparc Ultra enterprise 2's / OS=2.5.1

-Bill Fletcher

Network Engineer
Eugene School District 4J