htdig 4

jason moore (jmoore@sober.com)
Mon, 01 Jun 1998 23:33:51 -0400

Hi Andrew,

First, I want to thank you for htdig. I've played with it quite a bit,
and I find it to be an incredibly elegant and efficient design. Its a
joy to use!

Second, I noted with interest that you are starting work on htdig 4.
>From what I gathered in your posting, it will be a rewrite in java, but
will it also involve a complete redesign? (specifically in how the
indexes are built/stored.)

The reason I ask, is that there are some features that I would like to
add to the current htdig (e.g. altavista style booleans: +get -reject,
hyphenated search term support, multiple word search term support:
"Hunter S. Thompson".) and I am wondering whether there is a forum for
discussing these types of things beyond submitting patches to the list.

The other reason I ask, is that as much as I like java, I think having a
c++ version (of htsearch at least) would open up htdig to the widest
possible audience. java servlets while cool, are not a fully trusted
technology in a lot of organizations. I recently worked on a project
with apache and jserv and there was a serious memory leak in the version
of the jdk that we were using. We had to wait for a new version of the
jdk before we could put the site in a production environment. There's
just a lot of dependencies with servlets: webserver, jserv, jsdk, jdk...
so, would you be opposed to a parallel development of a new version of
htsearch in c++?

I'm very interested to hear your thoughts on this,

:jason

jmoore@sober.com