RE: htdig: Re: htdig 4

John Soward (soward@uky.edu)
Thu, 28 May 1998 17:20:00 -0400 (EDT)

I'm glad to hear you there will be a future for htdig, and I'm especially glad
to hear about the SQL backend support and the Java-only direction. My lack of
desire to work with C++ has kept me from making any modifications/fixes to the
current code-base, and although I don't favor the syntax of Java at times,
since I come from an Objective-C background, some of its' OO principles
(single-inheritance model!) fit my style...

I'd also like to help with the development as best I can -- I've not done any
significant Java-based projects as of yet. Although given my vacation schedule
and the list of projects I have to complete before then, I doubt I can devote
any serious time to it until late July.

Lastly, I'd like to reccomend looking at MySQL as a 'reference' backend. I
believe it has reasonable blob and text support, and I've used to to
'prototype' and experiment a lot and been quite happy with it's preformance
even with a sizeable amount of test data. I've not used the JDBC interface
though, so I'm not sure what state that is in currently.

PS: I'm still using HT://dig for www.uky.edu and some other campus
sites...InfoSeek wants to sell me a campus wide-system, which looks really nice
and powerful, but it's $12,000 plus a big-ass NT server to drive it...

thanx,

---
John Soward             <a href="http://neworder.cc.uky.edu/">JpS</a>
Sr. Systems Programmer  'The Midnight sun will burn you up.'
University of Kentucky    (NeXT and MIME mail OK)         -R. Smith