htdig: Re: htdig 4

Andrew Scherpbier (andrew@contigo.com)
Thu, 28 May 1998 20:44:10 +0000

ing. J.E.J. op den Brouw wrote:

> On Thu, 28 May 1998, Andrew Scherpbier wrote:
>
> > I might as well share my plans with the list:
> >
> > You may or may not like it...
> > ht://Dig 4 will be written in Java.
>
> Ouch!! I hope they'll give me a Pentium <VeryMuchMHz> MMX/II and a lot
> of memory. The idea is o.k. though......

Are you talking from experience or do you believe the media hype?

I don't want to go into something that should be discussed in
comp.lang.java.advocacy, but...
All the talk about "java is slow", "applets take to long to download", etc. is
not relevant to this application. Java is actually very well suited for this
type of task.
As you may know, I started Contigo Software as a Java only software company.
We have been selling our server software for over a year and we have yet to
run into performance problems for which Java is to blame.
We have about 30 servers running on our main production machine. Granted, the
machine is a dual 200MHz ultrasparc, but I'm talking 30 servers... The load
average on the machine normally stays below 2. Oh, did I mention that we are
*not* using a JIT for any of these servers?!
Performance problems we *have* run into are mostly due to limitations in the
OS or hardware. (NT on a dual 400MHz PII became unusable with more than 750
*active* threads. Solaris did just fine on a single 200MHz ultrasparc...
Solaris has this nice hidden limit to the total number of TCP sockets that the
machine can have open... etc.)

--
Andrew Scherpbier <andrew@contigo.com>