htdig: Re: htdig 4

Andrew Scherpbier (andrew@contigo.com)
Thu, 28 May 1998 18:06:00 +0000

ing. J.E.J. op den Brouw wrote:

> Hi Andrew,
>
> I noticed the tiny words "htdig 4"....
> What are your plans for the next generation??
> Maybe we can help...
> Is Berkeley DB2 a good choice?
>
> --jesse

I might as well share my plans with the list:

You may or may not like it...
ht://Dig 4 will be written in Java.
Initially, it will use JDBC to talk to whatever database you want to use.
This may change, however. There are some limitations to SQL databases that
make then inefficient and inflexible for the tasks of a search engine; notably
support for variable length records.
It will run either as a separate service that a small CGI program can talk to
or as a set of servlets on a webserver that support servlets. This should get
around any problems with slow Java startup speed.

With a complete redesign, lots of things that have been requested will be
included.
I am also toying with the idea of allow searches through an applet. That
would give more interactive capabilities to the searching. Don't know how
useful that will be, though.

As to the helping part... Yes, I will need help. I know that at least one
guy at my company wants to help.
In preparation, I have registered htdig.org and have installed a webserver at
http://www.htdig.org/ Currently it just has a copy of what is at
http://htdig.sdsu.edu/
Access to the development sources will be through CVS and cvsweb. So anyone
who wants to work on ht://Dig 4 just needs to let me know so I can setup a CVS
account.

So, why Java?
1) I refuse to program in anything else at present. (This is one of the
reasons
2) Multi-platform. You would not believe the number of requests I get from
people who ask when ht://Dig will be ported to NT.
3) Multi-threaded. The robot will be much more efficient by utilizing the
threads that are standard in Java.

--
Andrew Scherpbier <andrew@contigo.com>