Re: htdig: Re: ht://Dig and MSWord

Richard Jones (rjones@orchestream.com)
Tue, 26 May 1998 16:20:21 +0000

Pirmin Kalberer wrote:

> Richard Jones wrote:
> > Unfortunately, working out exactly how external parsers work
> > was beyond my abilities & I gave up. The solution is definitely
> > possible, using `catdoc' and a simple shell script. I suggest
> > you maybe ask Andrew Scherpbier exactly how the external parsing
> > mechanism works, and then you or I can work out how to connect
> > up catdoc.
> >

> We convert our Winword and Excel file with a Perl-Script which is
> much better than catdoc. The three modules OLE-Storage, Unicode::Map
> and Startup from Martin Schwartz can be found on CPAN. There
> is a description in the May issue of the german Unix magazine 'iX'.

In this situation, we can't run a script over the *.doc
files to generate HTML (at least, we could, but it wouldn't
be very easy at all ...). The Word files are all stored on NT,
and NT of course can't export the filesystem usefully.

I really think an external parser would be better, perhaps
in conjunction with txt2html.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones rjones@orchestream.com Tel: +44 171 598 7557 Fax: 460 4461