Partial word searches

Joal Fischer, MD (joal@supportworks.org)
Fri, 22 May 1998 17:10:58 -0400

Dear Andrew,

I have been using Ht-Dig through Mindspring for users to search our rather
large medical database for disease names, etc. I have two problems:

1) I cannot figure out a way for people to do a partial word search. For
example, people who look for Tourette (the name of a medical syndrome) will
not find Tourette's. Is there a solution?

2) Is there a way for the search key to represent only part of a word (thus
also allowing people to search for words they can't entirely spell but know
the first several letters for)?

I hope I am e-mailing the correct person--Mindspring did not have a
solution except that fuzzy searches might work.

Thanks very much for your time.

Joal at SupportWorks
Joal Fischer, MD
Executive Director
SupportWorks
1018 East Blvd., Suite 5
Charlotte, NC 28203
voice: 704 / 377-2055 (Mon-Thu 9 a.m. to noon)
website: www.supportworks.org
e-mail: director@supportworks.org