htdig: Re: ht://Dig and MSWord

Richard Jones (
Thu, 21 May 1998 10:52:53 +0000

B. Jung wrote:
> Hi,
> I read your posting "htdig: HTDIG: Searching Word files" from the Tue,
> 15 Jul 1997.
> I'm interested in the solution of this problem because I need this
> feature too.
> I would be glad to hear from you that you have solved the problem with
> MS Word files.

I'd be glad to hear that I had a solution too :-)

Unfortunately, working out exactly how external parsers work
was beyond my abilities & I gave up. The solution is definitely
possible, using `catdoc' and a simple shell script. I suggest
you maybe ask Andrew Scherpbier exactly how the external parsing
mechanism works, and then you or I can work out how to connect
up catdoc.

Richard Jones Tel: +44 171 598 7557 Fax: 460 4461
Orchestream Ltd.  125 Old Brompton Rd. London SW7 3RP PGP:
"boredom ... one of the most overrated emotions ... the sky is made
of bubbles ..."   Original message content Copyright  1998