htdig: european chars

Iosif Fettich (ifettich@netsoft.ro)
Wed, 29 Apr 1998 09:27:20 +0300 (EET DST)

> I use some European characters in standard HTML format on my web pages.
> In the search results they come out munged into something else, something
> tenebrous and wrong. For instance, Francois Rabelais gets something else
> in place of the special "c". How do I prevent this?

I have a kind of a patch, not really a solution. In the incipient stage
of htdig, when getting the doc that will be indexed, I map all special
characters to standard ASCII. Your special "c" would become a normal "c"
like this. The same happens when searching. Altough this lets place for
some confusion, it seems to be quite effective.

Don't know if there is a better solution out there?

Iosif Fettich