htdig: Htdig Using Berkeley 2.3.16 Database System

Jesse op den Brouw (jesse@crytonII.st.hhs.nl)
Fri, 03 Apr 1998 19:57:52 +0200

Well guys,

i've been working on htdig to replace the existing GDBM with
Berkeley DBM. Esa Ahola did his job on the 1.85 version and I did
complete (I think) a version for Berkeley 2.3.16 (thanx to Esa, he
showed me the way...). I only did test it
on a Linux RH 4.2 & RH 5.0 box with kernel 2.0.3[23]. Esa wrote a
piece of code to use root words like book* which finds anything
that matches book (prefix). On the GDBM system it was a crime to
find the keys, but Berkeley uses (can use) Btree databases and
searching is done very fast now. I made it warm pluggable, in that
you have to make some adoptions to the configure.in and Makefile.config
and a file called Database.cc somewhere. And there are DB_db2.* files
with the code for accessing DB files. Then get Berkeley 2.3.16
from www.sleepycat.com, untar in the htdig source directory, configure
and make it and it should run flawlessly. Beware, I'm only testing it
now and it seems to work on a 7400 doc's database.

I will make a patch in a few days. Maybe it handy to place a tar file
with the complete code somewhere on a web page.

Anyone interested? Try http://www.st.hhs.nl/zoek_techniek.html
(it's in dutch, beware!).

--jesse
Haagse Hogeschool 2521 EN DEN HAAG
Faculty of Engineering Netherlands
Electrical Engineering +31 70 4458936

Linux - because reboots are for hardware changes