htdig: Limiting /~ pages in searches

Dan Fuller (DFuller@mc.edu)
Thu, 02 Apr 1998 16:04:04 -0600

Greetings all,
I've been on the list for a few months now in preparation for the day that I
would install htdig on our campus server...well, that day has finally come!
The compile and installation went very smoothly, as did my first dig of the
database (though it took a few hours on this "doggy" machine!). All appears to
be working well, except that I can't figure out how to exclude student
webpages (ie. those beginning with /~). These directories are all on another
machine mounted in /home, but it appears that htdig needs a way to limit via
the url's rather than absolute unix paths. My hidden val's in the search form
are reproduced below:

<input type=hidden name=config value=htdig>
<input type=hidden name=restrict value="">
<input type=hidden name=exclude value="http://www.mc.edu/~">

I've tried excluding values of "/~", "/~*", "*/~*", as well as with trailing
hashs..ie "/~#", etc. When I do this, it excludes my entire database from the
searches (ignoring the tilde I suppose). Any ideas?

I noticed in the archives that Jesse in the Netherlands (hello jesse!) also
had this question back in May (though I didn't see an answer posted)...I've
cc'd him in the hopes he may have found a solution since then.

Many thanks!
-dan

Dan J. Fuller, Assistant Webmaster
Mississippi College, Clinton MS USA 601.925.3493
http://www.mc.edu dfuller@mc.edu fax: 925-3955