Re: htdig: Update digs using Apache?

Peter Burden (jphb@scit.wlv.ac.uk)
Tue, 24 Mar 1998 10:13:37 +0000

Didier BARBY wrote:

> Geoff Hutchison wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Recently I've been looking at the logs to see exactly what htdig is
> > retrieving. I normally run "update" digs (i.e. without the -i flag). But
> > htdig retrieves *everything*, no matter whether it has changed or not.
> >
> > I think I see the problem but don't know enough about the HTTP protocol to
> > make heads or tails. I'm running Apache (1.3b5, though I'm confident it
> > doesn't matter what version). When htdig does an update dig, it does a
> > "GET" command (off the topic, perhaps update digs should start with a HEAD
> > command?). If it has a date available, it sends it in the request.
> >
> > If the server returns status "304" then htdig skips the document.
> >
> > My questions are:
> > 1) What is status code 304?
> > 2) Does Apache support the "If-Modified-Since:" query?
> > 3) Do people doing update digs see debug messages of "not changed" when
> > running in verbose mode? (I don't.)
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > -Geoff Hutchison
> > Williams Students Online
> > http://wso.williams.edu/

> I had the same problem. Whe running dig in verbose mode (-vvv), you can see
> the last time the file was modified (returned by Apache). I saw that there was
> some hours difference between the time returned by Apache and the time on the
> machine. Try to adjust the time on your machine so that these two times be
> equal.

        Another possibility is that you have apache configured to do server
        side include parsing for all files - in which case it won't return
        any "Last-modified" HTTP headers although it can still handle
        "If-Modified-Since" requests.

--
>From Peter Burden, University of Wolverhampton  Email
jphb@scitsc.wlv.ac.uk
Phone (+44 1902)-321468 (DDI)  FAX (+44 1902)-322680
http://scitsc.wlv.ac.uk/~jphb/home.html -- http://scitsc.wlv.ac.uk is
also mine