Re: htdig: Update digs using Apache?

Didier BARBY (d.barby@republicain-lorrain.fr)
Tue, 24 Mar 1998 09:56:07 +0100

Geoff Hutchison wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Recently I've been looking at the logs to see exactly what htdig is
> retrieving. I normally run "update" digs (i.e. without the -i flag). But
> htdig retrieves *everything*, no matter whether it has changed or not.
>
> I think I see the problem but don't know enough about the HTTP protocol to
> make heads or tails. I'm running Apache (1.3b5, though I'm confident it
> doesn't matter what version). When htdig does an update dig, it does a
> "GET" command (off the topic, perhaps update digs should start with a HEAD
> command?). If it has a date available, it sends it in the request.
>
> If the server returns status "304" then htdig skips the document.
>
> My questions are:
> 1) What is status code 304?
> 2) Does Apache support the "If-Modified-Since:" query?
> 3) Do people doing update digs see debug messages of "not changed" when
> running in verbose mode? (I don't.)
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Geoff Hutchison
> Williams Students Online
> http://wso.williams.edu/

I had the same problem. Whe running dig in verbose mode (-vvv), you can see
the last time the file was modified (returned by Apache). I saw that there was
some hours difference between the time returned by Apache and the time on the
machine. Try to adjust the time on your machine so that these two times be
equal.

Didier Barby.