Re: htdig: exclude_url

Frank Guangxin Liu (frank@ctcqnx4.ctc.cummins.com)
Sat, 21 Feb 1998 22:20:44 -0500 (EST)

> > In an Intranet environment (*.foo.com), what is the best way for htdig
> > to exclude some sites?
> >
> > eg:
> > If I want to exclude a regular server (non virtual)
> > server1.subdomain.foo.com (it has an alias www.subdomain.foo.com).
> > Can I just do this?
> > exclude_urls: http://www.subdomain.foo.com
> > Or do I have to put all possible aliases?
> > exclude_urls: http://www.subdomain.foo.com http://server1.subdomain.foo.com
> > Or this method doesn't work at all!
> >
> > Any hints will be appreciated!
> >
> > Frank
>
> The safest is to add all possible aliases. This kinda depends on the setting
> of the allow_virtual_hosts attribute. If it is false, then only the name that
> is found using reverse DNS lookup has to be excluded, otherwise all aliases
> need to be excluded.

( The mailing list archives haven't been updated since early Feb.
Has anyone noticed that? )

I've been setting allow_virtual_hosts to false since it was introduced
because it creates problems. (see my post right after 3.8b2 was released).
But the output from htdig still shows it was accessing the site (using
as alias) though the site's real name is excluded using "exclude_urls".
Putting both real name and alias in "exclude_urls" solves the problem.
I think if any of our Intranet sites links to that host using its
ip address, I will have problem again. I may end up putting
real name, all aliases, ip address in "exclude_urls".

> of the allow_virtual_hosts attribute. If it is false, then only the name that
> is found using reverse DNS lookup has to be excluded, otherwise all aliases

This is interesting. People usually use "exclude_urls" to exclude
certain types of files, such as ".cgi". How does htdig know what
I put after "exclude_urls" is just a regular string or a hostname
that needs to do a reverse DNS lookup and then exclude?

> need to be excluded.

Anyway, I still this