Re: htdig: htmerge: Word sort failed

Rodney S. Heyd (rod@acept.la.asu.edu)
Fri, 20 Feb 1998 11:19:28 -0700 (MST)

On Fri, 20 Feb 1998, Webstar Technical Support wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Check to see that you have enough space in /tmp
>
> During merging a lot of files are written to /tmp by htmerge. If you
> have a big index with a small partion on /tmp it will soon run out of
> space and would give this error.

No, I don't believe this is the problem. Myself and a couple of others
have been having this problem as well. This is not due to a lack of
space in /tmp, as everything worked fine until our systems were upgraded
to a new version of linux using glibc. I don't know if this is a glibc
problem and I haven't been able to figure just exactly where the problem
occurs. I've run htmerge with various numbers of v's added, but no matter
the number of v's, htmerge still dies with the same message: "word sort
failed" with no further information (or at least nothing that would
indicate that there's a problem).

To recap, the problem is simply this. Htmerge runs just fine if
started from the command line (either directly or from within the
rundig script). However, if htmerge is run from cron, htmerge dies
with a "word sort failed" error, and no number of -v's seems to give
any further information than this. So far, nobody seems to be able to
explain what's going on. Does anyone have any suggestions about what
can be done to at least figure out what's happening if not solve the
problem?

Thanks,

Rod Heyd

|Rodney S. Heyd                  |Arizona State University-1504  |
|Webmaster, System Administrator |Dept. of Physics and Astronomy |
|ACEPT                           |Tempe, Arizona  85287-1504     |
|heyd@asu.edu                    |PHONE: (602) 727-6291          |
|http://acept.la.asu.edu/        |FAX:   (602) 727-6019          |