Re: htdig: Hanging on French-language site

Thomas-M. Stein (
Tue, 3 Feb 1998 20:37:42 +0100 (MEZ)

>It appears that htdig is hanging on a french-language site we are trying to
>index. Anyone have an idea why it would freeze up on:

I found that htdig seems to be quite fussy about certain tags
(I don't know which ones yet, I had some problems on my own site).
I downloaded that page and ran 'weblint' across that page to check
for the syntax.

There are a lot of mistakes on that page. Most of them shouldn't do much
harm but as I found that htdig looks for certain tags (f. example the
Title) the following ones seem to me most suspicious.

 unmatched </BODY> (no matching <BODY> seen).
 no closing </HTML> seen for <HTML> on line 1.

If I get it right the 'body' is actually empty and the html file doesn't
have an 'end'.

This is just a guess.

 Thomas-M. Stein
 University of Kassel (FB11) Phone : (+49)-5542-98-1632
 Dep. of Rural Engineering and Fax : (+49)-5542-98-1588
 Natural Resource Protection Email :
 Nordbahnhofstr. 1a WWW :
 D-37213 Witzenhausen, GERMANY List owner: