htdig: Can't get htdig to work at all

Lars Hecking (lhecking@nmrc.ucc.ie)
Wed, 7 Jan 1998 19:27:28 +0000

 I have installed htdig-3.0.8b2 on a SunOS 4.1.4 machine. Compile and
 install went without problems, and I'm pretty sure I went through the
 install instructions by the letter. In conf/htdig.conf, database_dir
 and start_url have been modified according our local setup.

 When I try to run rundig (as root), I get

# bin/rundig
htdig: Run complete
htdig: 1 server seen:
htdig: library.nmrc.ucc.ie:80 0 documents
htmerge: Unable to open word list file '/usr/local/WWW/htdig/db/db.wordlist'

 db/db.docdb has been created, as well as a zero-length file db/db.worldlist.new,
 nothing else.
 This server has definitely more than zero documents. Even with the original
 start_url http://htdig.sdsu.edu/, I get 0 documents.

 Running htdig -v...is (with increasing number of v's) does not give me any
 further information.

 Any suggestions?

 On a related topic, how does htdig deal with JavaScript and .shtml files?