htdig: prefix matching and spell correcting fuzzy algorithms

Esa Ahola (esa@cyclone.mindspring.com)
Thu, 18 Dec 1997 01:17:26 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 16 Dec 1997, Jesse op den Brouw wrote:

> > While on the topic of enhancements, I have implemented my "favorite"
> > missing htdig feature, namely a prefix matching fuzzy algorithm.
>
> Can you send us this patch. I think that a lot of people want to have
> this feature in their search engine.

Sure, although I would prefer that Andrew review it before it is
circulated widely. Send me private mail if you can't wait.

On a related note, on Tue, 3 Jun 1997, Andrew Scherpbier wrote:

> Right now the ispell dicts and affix rules are only used for the
> endings. How usefull would it be if there were a spelling correcting
> fuzzy algorithm?

Interesting question. I hacked together a prototype "spell" fuzzy
algorithm using ispell's pipe-friendly "-a" mode of invocation.

Ispell processes are pretty huge; a compiled-in version would probably
be better. But it does work.

--
Esa Ahola
esa@cyclone.mindspring.com