htdig: keywords and htdig

Bethany Hanson (hansonb@reed.edu)
Wed, 17 Dec 1997 10:38:26 -0800 (PST)

I would really like to use keywords to make certain pages show up better
in htdig than others. I've not changed any of the other factors, but I've
pumped the value of the keywords up in my config file with:
keyword_factor: 222

In the file that I want to pump up I've added in the <head> area:
<META NAME="keywords" CONTENT="Academic, ACADEMIC, catalog, departments,class">

After running htdig again, I consistently get two pages that score the
same amount of stars (4), yet appear before my keyworded page. These two
pages don't have any meta keywords and have the same amount of words in
the regular text and in the title. The two pages that appear before my
keyworded page have titles that would alphabetically appear before it. Is
that why it's happening? Can anyone tell me why this isn't working? Is
it kosher to pump keyword_factor up to 1000? I tried this already, but it
didn't seem to help. Does htdig just count text in the regular text or in
the <a href>'s as well? Does having spaces in the meta keywords mess it
up? Please help!
        bjh