Re: htdig: Server Errors & Restrict


Steve Rauch (srauch@u.washington.edu)
Tue, 25 Nov 1997 10:21:18 -0800 (PST)


Andrew -

Thanks for the reply. We have played with 3.0.8b2, but we did not upgrade
completely as we have some problems with it that we also have with 3.0.7.
We cannot get it to display endings -- if we run it off an HP it works,
but from our DEC with identical config files we get exact matches.

We have been using soundex since we cannot get metaphone to work -- rundig
dumps core and the core mentions line 141 in Metaphone.cc, but I do not
have the programming knowledge to see what's wrong. I know there have been
problems getting htDig to run on DECs, and we kept hoping that a final
3.0.8 would fix some of the things that we have not been able to make
work.

-Thanks

Steve Rauch srauch@u.washington.edu

On Tue, 25 Nov 1997, Andrew Scherpbier wrote:

> This was fixed in version 3.0.8b2. Get it from http://htdig.sdsu.edu/files/
>
> Steve Rauch wrote:
> >
> > We are running ht:/dig 3.0.7 on a DEC Alpha running DU 4.0b and Netscape
> > Commerce web server. We have previously noted that certain words resulted
> > in server errors. Once it was physicians. Today it is patents. Patent will
> > work, but not patents.
> >
> > The server error log says that the query "did not produce a valid header".
> >
> > We have some subdirectories that use Restrict and when I ran the search in
> > there, it works. So I created a form using restrict, chagned the
> > directory name one-by-one to each directory in our server, and searched
> > for patents to find which directory failed. They all worked.
> >
> > So I took the code that is used on the page that failed:
> >
> > <FORM ACTION="/cgi-bin/htsearch.cgi" METHOD=GET>
> > <FONT FACE="Arial" SIZE="1" COLOR="#800000"><B>Find on
> > HealthLinks:</B></FONT>
> > <BR>
> > <INPUT type="hidden" name="config" value="live">
> > <INPUT type="hidden" name="method" value="and">
> > <INPUT type="hidden" name="format" value="builtin-short">
> > <INPUT type="text" size="14" name="words" value="">
> > <BR><FONT FACE="Arial" SIZE="1">Or go to
> > <A HREF="/net_search/index.html">Internet Search</A></FONT>
> > </FORM>
> >
> > and inserted this line before the </FORM>:
> >
> > <INPUT TYPE=hidden NAME=restrict VALUE="">
> >
> > Now the search performs correctly -- searching for patents across our
> > entire server.
> >
> > Does anyone have thoughts on what causes the server error in the first
> > place? And why would adding a restrict to "" prevent the problem?
> >
> > I would give URL's, but my experience is that the same word does not cause
> > the error day-after-day. We do complete indexes each night, not
> > incrementals.
> >
> > Thank you -
> >
> > Steve Rauch srauch@u.washington.edu
> > University of Washington Health Sciences
> > Networked Information Specialist
> >
> > ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> > To unsubscribe from the htdig mailing list, send a message to
> > htdig-request@sdsu.edu containing the single word "unsubscribe" in
> > the body of the message.
>
> --
> Andrew Scherpbier <andrew@contigo.com>
> Contigo Software <http://www.contigo.com/>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe from the htdig mailing list, send a message to
> htdig-request@sdsu.edu containing the single word "unsubscribe" in
> the body of the message.
>



This archive was generated by hypermail 2.0b3 on Sat Jan 02 1999 - 16:25:13 PST