Re: htdig: Virtual memory exceeded

Jesse op den Brouw (jesse@crytonII.st.hhs.nl)
Fri, 14 Nov 1997 14:10:03 +0100

Didier BARBY wrote:

> Hello-
>
> I installed htdig 3.08b1 on a 2.0.30 Linux. Every day I add 1200 files (
> 4 Mb) on my server. Today, I have to index 54000 html files (180 Mb).
> Htdig run OK but htmerge fails with:
> "Virtual memory exceeded"
> This message appears when htmerge counts for the second time (after the
> word count). Htmerge fills first all RAM and then all the swap.
> I upgraded my server from 32 to 96 Mb of RAM and I have 90 Mb of swap
> space.
> What can I do now?
> Does the new 3.08b2 resolve this problem?

Yes. There was a bug somewhere in 3.08b1 that allocated memory but
didn't free it when is wasn't needed anymore. 3.08b2 doesn't have
this problem. On my machine (32MB / 6400 docs) it doesn't use
swap anymore

--jesse
Haagse Hogeschool 2521 EN DEN HAAG
Sector Techniek Netherlands
Afdeling Elektrotechniek +31 70 4458936

Linux - because reboots are for hardware changes