htdig: RE: Continuing problems with hangups, after months of trying to fix.

Eric Poole (epoole@scoot.netis.com)
Sat, 18 Oct 1997 16:15:37 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 18 Oct 1997, Scot Needy wrote:

> I also have the same problem with htdig on several large sites.
> It hangs after a inderterminate time. The only thing I can do to
> get my cron script to continue is to HUP the dig pid,
> but I think this just causes the dig to exit then htmerge starts.

Thanks for your response. I was beginning to wonder if I was the only one
anywhere in the world that was plagued by this problem.

>From your report it sounds like none of the patches address this problem.
I can report that 3.0.8b2 doesn't address it either, as I've experienced
this problem more often than not since upgrading (though, on average, no
more nor less often than with 3.0.8b1).

I am in the process of learning something about C++ specifically so I can
try to fix this while our search service still has any credibility left,
but since there's only a few minutes here and there that I can devote to
it, it's taking longer than I can possibly justify to try to fix this.

We're at the point where, very reluctantly, we have to move on to
something else. Anyone have any suggestions as to an alternative?