Re: htdig: Virtual memory exceeded in `new'

ukrainec@infoukes.com
Wed, 8 Oct 1997 13:46:34 -0400 (EDT)

Hello Pat,

> I am new to htdig and have just got the htdig 3.08b1 rpm and installed
> it on my RedHat 4.2 box. The first time I ran htdig and htmerge it ran
> fine and dandy and indexed all my files.
> I then mounted a cd of html docs and again did htdig andhtmerge. Htdig
> ran OK but htmerge fails after a while with

> "Virtual memory exceeded in `new'"

> What is it running out of here as my disk space looks ok in that I
> have about 700Mb free.

You need to use the new 3.08b2 version. There are some major memory leaks
in the 3.08b1. I had the same problem which went away when I tried 3.08b2.
It compiles no problem under Linux.

Also, for those struggling with exclude option, I found the logic reversed
in htsearch/Display.cc. Here are my changes. The commented
out lines are the original.

line 108:

//*****************************************************************************
// Return true if the specified URL should be counted towards the results.
int
Display::includeURL(char *url)
{
    if (limitTo && limitTo->FindFirst(url) < 0)
    {
        return 0;
    }
    else
    {
// if (excludeFrom && excludeFrom->FindFirst(url) < 0)
        if (excludeFrom && excludeFrom->FindFirst(url) <= 0)
// return 0;
            return 1;
        else
// return 1;